Sunday 7 May 2017

Creating Characters

Hey everyone. Sorry there hasn't been an update in a few weeks. My computer wasn't working and I only recently got a new one (after trying, and failing, to get the old one fixed).

So, as you know, last time I had started my first draft for chapter two of Karcess: Wolves in Turmoil. Now here's something you've probably heard before: first drafts are terrible! I know, they are our babies, and we never want to let go of them, but alas we must. We must cut them open, dissect them, and mutilate them (lovely image there right?) to create something beautiful. Of course, you'll save the best bits. I often find with y first drafts I'll have a stroke of pure genius, which I won't ever get back, which will always make it through the final cut. It may just be one or two words, but it's so perfect, it stays. That is, this happened until chapter to of this book!
Writing the chapter this was going through my head, oh my god! What is this $&@*&! It's all garbage! Terrible! Awful! Why can't I write anything good! So clearly not my best day for writing. We all have them I guess. This was just one of my worse ones. The question is though, 'Why was this draft that bad?'
The answer simple: 'I hadn't taken the time to build my character.'

Lots of people have different methods for character building, and there's no one right way about it. I'm going to tell you what I did, and mention a few other methods you can try.The important thing is that it works for you.
I'm a daydreamer. When I wake up, if I have the time, I love to lie in bed for an hour (or three) and think about my dreams the night before. Then I'll usually go off on a tangent of little daydreams, memories, plans, whatever. The same thing happens when I'm going to write. First I go outside, and start walking in circles. I know that sounds weird, but it's how I think. I tend to do it when talking to people, and have to sit down to avoid making them dizzy. While I'm walking I'll think about my story. If I've only just gotten the idea, I'll do this regularly for at least a week. This will give me some key scenes, how the story begins, or ends, or both, and of course the all important character building. If I haven't taken the time to build my character before writing, chapter 2 happens.
As I'm a daydreamer I solve my character building problems through going into a trance like state. This can be mulling over them how I do my own story. If this doesn't work I meditate and focus on the character. Another one that can help is watching TV. You've probably heard how lazy you're being zoning out in front of a box right? Tats because your mind isn't working. It's being spoon fed all the information. Next time your watching something, half way through the show try to remember what was on before. I bet it will take you several minutes before you do. As my brain uses hardly any of its mass to watch TV, the rest will take whatever on the back burner, and toy with it. In this case it was my character. A few weeks after no real ideas I decided to go for a walk. This actually also sends your mind into a trance like,  meditative state, and is a good way to solve writers block. I prepared myself by mulling over the problem character fro a while before, then cleared my mind before I started walking. About five minutes in 'lightbulb'.
Everything fell into place. My dog who I was walking at the time got a flood of information about my character for the rest of the time it took us to go up the road and come home. I find it easier to remember ideas if I tell someone, and pets are great listeners. They also like the attention.

There are number of ways to build characters. It gives them a detailed back story, which you can draw on, even if you never actually put it in your book. It helps you to understand their personality, they way they, act and the way they think. To write a character well, you need to put yourself in their shoes, and how can you do that without getting inside their minds, and working out what makes the tick.
Being a writer means you probably like to, well, write. Brainstorming is an excellent character building tool, so get out your coloured pens (colour helps the brain remember), and write down as many words as you can think of to describe your character. After the single words you might want phrases. describe their quirks, their pet peeves, their likes and dislikes. Look back at your describing words and start building their personality form that. Now write sentences. Tell me about their life. Who were their parents. Where did they grow up. Who did they know. Again, look back at your previous lists, and this will help you formulate a back story.
Some people are more visual. In this case it might help to draw your character. Once you can see them in front of you you can almost feel you know them. Either think about it or write it down. It doesn't have to be detailed though, just dot points about them. Remember, the better you know your character, the better you can write them.
Another way to get to know them is the way you get to know people. For this you might want a pet to talk to, or a picture (preferably of someone you don't know), or you can talk to your reflection in the mirror. Introduce yourself, and imagine them introducing themselves as your character. Hoe do they talk and act? Ask them questions and see what answers you come up with.
Another way is to become the character. Rather than asking them the questions to learn about them, live their life for a day. Dress like them. If you can't just imagine you're wearing the right clothes. Look in the mirror and see them. Treat everyone how they would treat them (you might want to warn your friends and family before hand just in case). At the end of the day sit down and see what you've learnt about your character. I'm sure it's a great deal.

Of course there are many more ways to build characters with frameworks, graphs, activities and so fourth, but to list them all would take days. Try the above ways and see what works best, then modify  it to suit you. The right way in character building, is your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *