Sunday 11 February 2018

The Importance of Reading and What to Read While Writing

Hey guys.
Those of you who follow me on social media are probably aware that I was having computer trouble last week which is why I didn't update. For those who don't know, there was an operating system update that my computer was having trouble fully installing, and as a result, it was next to impossible for me to get into my computer after it shut down. I had to do a reset to fix it, but luckily, all my stuff was backed up to the cloud.
Anyway, this week I wanted to focus on reading, and most importantly, what sort of books you should be reading when writing a story, or planning to write a story.
So, why is reading so important for writers? Doesn't it just take time out of your day and stop you from actually writing? Well, yes. Initially it will slow you down, but a few paragraphs in, and you'll notice your writing is pretty terrible if you've never read a book. Every time you read a book, you are subconsciously picking up on the writers technique and voice. You'r noticing what works (what draws you in, excites you, and makes you feel for the characters), and what doesn't. And you start to decide how you want to sound (developing your voice). Books are the best teachers for writing, and everything you read makes you a better writer.
But we can't just read anything, right? Well, yes and no. Everything does help, however, when you are writing, there are some boos that are better to read than others.
To find which books you should read while writing a story that you're currently working on, or planning on starting, you first look at what sort of story it is. Is it a fan fiction, and if so from what fandom, or is it original? What age group is it for? Is it fantasy, crime, thriller, ect.? Is it a short story, novella, or novel? Now, if the best things to teach you to write are books, then the best things to teach you how to write your story are the same type of stories.
When I started writing Wolf Tribe, and even now, I tried to find as much information on wolves as I could, and also read many novels written for young teenagers, especially those containing animal, as well as human characters. I am also reading lots of 'Warriors' fan fiction, for my own fan fiction, Armagedon.
If you leave your story for a bit, say between chapters or editing, you will have to read the most important thing. Remember, you must know your world and characters, as well as, or hopefully better than your readers. So if you leave your story, before coming back, read (or at the very least Kim if there are a lot) all your already written chapters. Also read any character profiles, or story boards, or anything else you have about it. This may seem pointless, but you will find little things that you may otherwise forget about and miss, but your readers won't.
In the book 'Firestar's Quest' by Erin Hunter, during my first reading, for a few chapters it felt like something was off. The second reading was "Oh. Oh my god. Oh yeah, you really messed that one up."
On page 282  character says "Living alone, a cat doesn't need a name, but now... A long time ago, I think my mother called me Scratch."
On pages 304to 309 other characters then greet this character by name when they aren't even introduced till after page 282, so never heard him tell the others his name.
I know sometimes mistakes are made (and even published), but reading over your work makes them far less likely, and I'm guessing you want to write stories that people will read more than once, so you definitely don't want a mistake like the one above!
On a last note, even while writing, you should always look to expand your mind and repertoire. Don't limit yourself exclusively to the books that are like the one you're writing. Try and read a couple of different things too. For me, I joined a book club, one which is fairly lax if you don't finish or read every book, and we choose a nn fiction, and fiction book every month!

Happy writing,

      Teen Fantasy Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *