Sunday 14 January 2018

Following Your Own Advice


Hey guys.
I suppose a lot of you came up with some New Years resolutions the beginning of this month. Just wondering how many of you followed them? Or maybe you didn't quite stick to it before, but picked it up again a day later? No?
New Year's resolutions are a lot like the advice we give others. Lots of people have given you advice over the years. From the moment you're born your basically taking advice by watching other peoples actions and learning from them by imitating. I've given you plenty of advice on this blog about writing. I'm guessing you follow a large amount of the advice you've been given by others, but that's not your advice.
Your advice, your own advice that you give to others for them to follow, is just as important as the advice they give to you. Actually, it's often more important. It's advice that you've learnt through your own life experiences. This means it's advice that pertains to you more than anyone else, no matter who they are, or what they do. Yes, you can still give this advice to others, and it will probably help them, but always remember the best source of advice for you is often yourself.
The problem is, most people don't follow their own advice.
That's why I think your own advice is like New Year's resolutions. You tell yourself you need to or want to start doing this or that this year. You're giving yourself advice. Then you might try to stick to it, but how many people have come up to you New Years Day and complain that they already broke their New Years Resolution? How many of them do you think tried again the next day? Or did they all think it was better to try again next year?
You see, that's the problem. You give yourself this advice. You say you're definitely going to do it this year. You fail slightly just once though, and you give up. Nobody follows their own advice!
It's not just New Years though, It's all the time. Here's an example I think everyone can relate to. Whenever your sitting at the table eating dinner or any other meal with your family you see it. Mum's sitting there across the table or next to you and she looks up at you, talking to your dad, your friend, or your siblings. She picks up a forkful of food, puts it in her mouth and says to you: "Don't talk with your mouthful."
She is talking to you with her mouthful and telling you not to do the same! And the same goes for anytime my parents have told me not to chew with my mouth open. Even your parents don't follow their own advice!
Everybody is guilty of it. Even I am. Some of the advice I've given on this blog I know I don't follow.
So this is my New Years resolution, (and yes I broke it, but I'm trying again today, and tomorrow, and every other day until I get it) I'm folioing my own advice. I'm not giving up or leaving it till next year. Every day, every hour I'm going to pick it up again.
Why don't you pick up your New Years resolution right now, or if you don't have one...Try following your own advice this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *